Wednesday, September 10, 2003

How I came to blog

Took me almost a year to decide to write on this blog and the long pondering of what I really wanted to do has somehow beckon me to aspire to write once again.

I think the very nature of me since childhood is to be constantly updated through reading magazines, books and news articles even watching the nightly news has been a habit for many countless years, thanks to the influence of my Papa, who never misses on his daily dose of Newspaper's being delivered in our house when he was still living.



I started out reading the comics pages and later got fascinated about the editorial cartoons which I haven't thought then as a satirical rendition of the Geo-political landscape of our country when I was yet a child.  And later my Papa would encourage me to read the editorial opinion page written by the late Blas F. Ople, Francisco Kit Tatad, Max Soliven, Randy David and many more which unknowingly then I have been molded in my youthful braincells by the greatest minds of our land.

Then I got hold of one Panorama magazine which features the Philippines top business tycoons and then I began idolizing their brilliant powers to shape the economic landscape of this country such as the likes of Lucio Tan, John Gokongwei, Henry Sy, George S.K. Ty, Emilio T. Yap, Tan Yu.  These men amazed me back then and viewed them as super-heroes and I have always dreamt as my mind can ever dream of becoming, I even wrote my own lists of companies I want to name at an age where most would have been playing with legos and matchbox toys.

During my teenage years I got to expand my horizon to the international forefront and has almost read all of the Philippine tycoons and Hong Kong Tycoons biographies and autobiographies as well the life of Warren Buffett of the Berkshire-Hathaway fame.  I even got this deep-rooted desire to become a tycoon one day.

In my college years, I met a friend who shared a book called Taipan by James Clavell, I got so amused with the lead character Dirk Struan that I wanted to be just like him thus I have borrowed the title as an online name in facebook, ym and other online social media sites which often makes those who don't really know me to ask, if Taipan is really my first name (to which I replied, No!) Taipan is just like a title of royalty, like Baron or Duke but in the asian business setting, this of my own belief and opinion.

I went to study Management Information System yet the passion and desire to constantly learn business is innate and hasn't diminished through time, so I chose a path in retail that by a twist of fate landed me from retail salesman of a hardware store to supervising operations of a big Home Depot store, to become a merchandising buyer for a mall department stores and later move me up higher and higher to an international brand of Shoes and Apparel lines to Merchandising Manager and Merchandising Category Management positions then to be a Vice President for a local retailer and consultant-senior merchandising buyer for an upstart international online retailer.

After all these years, the craving to write and share my ideas and be someone who wants to passionately pursue a dream of being a writer(be it for opinion, lifestyle, content writing or just simply sharing still moves me within).

Thus I have decided to look back and see that I have written something in the past but hasn't really relentlessly pursued it to the utmost limit as career dictates otherwise a different calling.

But I guess, a new quest and hunger to learn and start anew isn't too late, and there's always a far brighter future in beginning a journey that may not be financially rewarding or sustaining as a corporate ladder  rise but shall be much of a heart-felt warmth and joy to do.

Thus this journey begins.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment