Saturday, February 16, 2008

The woman who changed me!

I entered a building so uniquely adorned, spacious and brightly painted. I am required to leave behind my cellphone and other electronic gadgets with me, register for the 4 evening seminar(monday, tues, thursday and friday). The woman then gave me a temporary ID after I presented to her my ID card and at exactly 6pm everyone should already be inside this room where the walling is curiously hieroglyphics of ancient Egypt. At the front center is a wide blackboard and seems like its an auditorium class of a university.

I thought what am I here for.... but everyone filled the room and there even is not enough chairs to fill the crowd so some have to stand at the side and back of the room. Then a woman walked thru from a small door on the back of the left side corner of the room, in a delicately white pants and dress, her hair is so attractively raised like she just came from a salon, she has this eyes so distinct and well browed, and fear gripped me that I thought I saw a witch in sheeps clothing. Oh my gosh! is she going to hypnotize us in the room? She was like a witch I dreaded when I was a child from all those fairy tales.

She holds a cordless microphone and began to introduce herself as Charley Barretto emphasizing the E in her name Charley, a resounding beautiful voice I've ever heard marveled into my ears. Soft spoken and with her smile I somehow felt a bit relaxed. She then called attention to those who were there for the very first time and she tried to play along our emotions that when certainly viewed her as a with(my golly, she can even read our minds).

She discussed the principles of life, the Science of Mind and Man Center is all about, the sphere of the Universe, our god within, the conscious and the sub-conscious mind, the power of thoughts and things, belief, every positive ideas becomes the visible.

Every night for 4 to 5 hours she would only talk how we can be prosperous, abundant, rich, powerful, its tapping thru the sub-conscious being within ourselves. and showing us the light to shine our path into a more abundant beingness.

It was already a friday night, the last evening of the 4 day seminar, somehow I understood slowly the manner by which to conquer my fear and doubts. But tonight its all going to be different coz I will either walk out of this place still the same or a changed man in mind and heart and soul.

As she put down her microphone and calls for the closing of her seminar, she walks and vanishes into the confines of her private room. I felt a changed man, I saw a new meaning and hope for living. I saw her not as she first came in 5 nights ago when I first had a glimpse of her, a bewitching hag. Tonight I saw her as the light and the angelic beauty of a woman I would love to meet again.

For many years I continued to attend the class of Ms. Charley Barretto which rarely happens once or twice every year.

I am grateful for the time I was able to listen and attend her class, without those nuggets of her thoughts, I would have viewed life in a different sphere and am proud to have acquired the wisdom from a Charley Barretto, The Science of Mind.
I'm a true blue Sommist.

14 comments:

  1. H Job!

    When did you last attend Charley's seminar that you're describing here? Was this still at the Gold building along Anapolis Street in Greenhills?

    She was a teacher of mine many years ago and I have been trying to get in touch with her.

    Jonathan Casuncad

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was many years ago when i attended Charley barreto's seminar... havent heard from her a long time... last time i heard she moved to Canada and/or US already

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taipan Job

    I too had been searching for any information I could find on Charley. I attended the SOMM workshop in 1997 and bought a lot of her tapes.

    What I learned from her got me started on a more purposeful and deliberate journey.

    My constant search for her year after year eventually lead me to this website:

    http://www.Abraham-Hicks.com

    I don't know if you're familiar with them already but if not, I'm sure that what you will find there will feel to you like "coming home".

    That's what it felt like for me and I felt that I had finally found Charley again.

    I wish you well.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear taipan,

    how old are you when you first attended SOMM?

    would you believe i was a Sommist Baby, i am now 35. My mother was in the first batch of sommists when it started mid-70s. i think 1974, it was called only SOM before, Science of Mind. my mom was pregnant with me at that time. so from the womb, i am already a sommist.

    they used to have children's seminar. so when i was about 4 or 5 years old, i remember our activities were, drawing, playing, and imagining what she would say. i can still somewhat recall, that she would instruct us to close our eyes and think lots of money. since drawing was in my consciousness at a young age, when i was 18, i rediscover my artistry and began to do some paintings. until now that consciousness training in arts comes very handy to me.

    it's good that attending the seminar had a positive impact on you. those who "get it"...the principles, the techniques etc. it will be embeded in their soul and hopefully be pass on to their children, family and friends. I have 3 children, all boys age 5, 3, 6 months. before they would go to sleep, they would say "i am health, i am genius, i am handsome, i am perfect, i am God". as what charley would always say.. "what you speak, so it will become" true enough, they are heath, handsome and smart.

    it's nice to find a sommist on the net.

    "Peace and Prosperity"
    SOMMIST BABY
    gsndakita@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sommist Baby 2

    Hi everyone, i first met Ms. Charley Baretto when I was a kid (i think around 2 or 3) but i can still remember it because she gave me and my younger sister money that time and talked to us about the power of the mind and about being good.

    My mom would always tell me that I was a somm baby, she was a student of Ms. Baretto for 20-25yrs and I remember fractures of memories of attending her seminars and drawing and stuff... The biggest part of my childhood was the tapes that my parents would make us listen, somehow i can still hear her voice (Ms. Baretto), esp when I feel so low... I'm currently battling through depression and i dont know if its weird esp that im a somm baby and i was brought up by sommist parents ( I am now 22yrs old) and I should be mentally strong and all.

    Anyway, what Im trying to say is... right now, im slowly falling apart but because of the words of Ms. Baretto and also through faith, I am living it through and maybe one day I could attend one of her seminars if I ever find her or get information about where she's teaching or something...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom was a student of Charley in the 80's. I am curious. I was trying to search for her in the net but cannot find a contact info. Anyone knows and if she is still in the Philippines and conducting seminars?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am a Sommist. That was many years ago. I remember the positive vibes in the room. the a/c turned up to the coldest, the tuna sandwiches and coffee, and my most favorite part, when we sing Let there be peace on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, do you still have tapes from SOMM? I'm after the Prosperity tapes. I have lost mine. I would like to get them again but can't seem to contact the SOMM center anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's her birthday today. I attended her seminars 1981 to 97, still on the path to spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I became curious after hearing about her from my father, and I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I became curious after hearing about her from my father, and I'm glad I did. My father still has her cassette tapes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anyone here who still attending the seminar?

    ReplyDelete
  13. please disseminate any info regarding any upcoming seminar.

    ReplyDelete